Admission Form Related Queries
8. What qualifying degree should a dual degree student write in the application form?
You have to write B.Tech. degree as your qualifying degree. However, you are supposed to mention your 5th year marks in the form in case of a dual degree.
9. What grade should a dual degree student put in undergraduate marks & post-graduate marks?
Refer to the above ans.
10. I have CPI out of 10 & not percentage as final score. Should I convert my CGPA into percentage & fill in?
No. If the original grade card mentions CPI, one should always mention CPI and never as percentage. Even if your college gives you a conversion card between % and CPI one should mention the original Percentage or CPI as mentioned in the mark-sheet and grade card.
11. Who will handle queries regarding form filling?
Refer to the email id given on the website.
12. What is the eligibility criterion for applying?
For Domestic candidates
An undergraduate degree or equivalent (as defined by Association of Indian Universities (http://www.aiuweb.org/) in Engineering with a minimum of 60% / 6.5 CPI) aggregated over all semesters or a Graduate degree in any branch of Sciences (e.g. MS, M.Sc. etc.) with a minimum aggragate of 60% / 6.5 CPI).
For the purpose of application, international applicant is one who holds a foreign passport, or has Indian passport but is studying/working abroad continuously for more than or equal to two years (as on 30 Sep 10). ELIGIBILTY
GD/PI & Final selection related queries
13. What was the last year minimum GMAT score for the Shortlisted NRI Candidate? Also are NRI Candidates exempted from attending GD/PI?
There is no minimum GMAT score requirement for NRI/Foreign national. Everyone with a valid GMAT score can apply. Based on the no. of applications, the faculty chooses the best few profiles. About GD/PI: NRI candidates don’t have a GD but a PI. If the candidate is not in Mumbai then the panel does a telephonic interview. If the candidate is in Mumbai and can attend the interview in SJMSoM then he/she is asked to do that.
14. How many seats are reserved for sponsored candidates?
There is no fixed number of seats for sponsored candidates. However, we do have an upper limit which is decided by the administrative council every year.
15. What are the selection criteria for getting a GD/PI call?
The CAT percentile as well as the sectional cut-offs are the criteria that are considered for the GD/PI call.
JMET (Joint Management Entrance Test) is discontinued from 2011. Candidates have to appear for CAT (Common Admission Test) conducted by IIMs
16. How are the cut offs for GD/PI calls decided?
The cut-offs are decided by the faculty every year.
17. What is the proposed intake for 2012 batch?
The total number of seats this year is 120.
18. Are calls given based on profile or only based on CAT marks?
Please refer to question number 16
19. When is the GD/PI process for domestic and international candidates conducted?
The dates for GD/PI have not been finalized yet. Last year the process happened during the first two weeks of March. The process for NRI candidates is done after the process for domestic candidates and not simultaneously.
20. Has the number of seats for general category increased from last year?
No change for any category.
21. Will my request for re-scheduling of GD/PI slot entertained?
Last time it was done. There may be a different process for slotting this time.
22. When will the results of GD/PI be announced?
The dates are yet to be decided. All the IITs come out with the results in a span of one or two days. This decision is taken jointly by all IITs at a later stage.
Placement Related Queries
23. How have been the summer placements this year?
100% Summer Placements. (Class of 2013)
24. Is winter internship provided by the college placement committee?
Winter internship is optional and the placement team provides opportunities for interested candidates.
25. Is there provision for lateral placements ? If yes, what is the criterion for that?
Yes, typically it is for people more than 20 months but depends from company to company. Some companies prefer candidates with more than 36 months of experience and some prefer 18 months too.
26. What was the avg. package offered last year?
13.72 lakhs per annum (average) and 13.07 lakhs per annum (median).
27. Was there any international placement offered last year?
Yes, a few good profiles were offered. The average annual compensation for international placement was Rs 29 lakhs.
28. What are the companies that come to campus for Marketing and Consulting Streams?
Typically the FMCG, manufacturing, product based, pharma, IT companies offer marketing and we have niche as well as few management consulting companies offering consulting profiles on campus. Around 20% students secured offers in consulting profiles. For more details on placements you can refer Placements at SOM