Dr. Varadraj B. Bapat
M.Com., CA, CWA, DISA, Ph.D.
Managerial Accounting, Financial Reporting, Indian Financial and Business Models
Accounting Standards, Disclosures, Corporate Governance, Bankruptcy Prediction, Portfolio Management, Financial inclusion, Indian Economic Model, Integral Humanism, Corporate Sanskrit and Yoga.
- Ph.D. in Management (Finance)
Shailesh J. Mehta School of Management, IIT Bombay
- Post-Qualification Diploma in Information Systems Audit Distinction
Institute of Chartered Accountants of India, New Delhi
- Fellow, Institute of Chartered Accountants of India First Class
Institute of Chartered Accountants of India, New Delhi
- Final Examination of Cost Accountancy First Class
Institute of Cost and Works Accountants of India, Calcutta
- Master of Commerce First Class
University of Pune, Pune
Awards and Honours
- Secured 22nd All India Rank in C.A. final examination in May 1995.
- Secured 47th All India Rank in C.A. intermediate examination in November 1993.
Faculty in Accounting and Finance, July 2008 to date
Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai
Faculty in Finance, June 2007 to June 2008
National Institute of Industrial Engineering (NITIE), Mumbai
Vice-principal/ Lecturer Aug 1996 to May 2007
S. K. Somaiya College of Arts, Science & Commerce, Vidyavihar, Mumbai
Management Accounting Course is available as both video and web course. The lecture videos, notes, problems, solution are freely downloadable.
- “Financial Inclusion - Status and its Impact on Human Development: A Special Focus on North East India”
Financial Accounting-A Managerial Perspective, Tata McGrawHills Publishing, Delhi. (ISBN 978-12-59004889)
Investment Analysis & Portfolio Management, Sheth Publishers, Mumbai
Research papers published
Research Output (papers in last 3 years)
- Bhanot, D., Bapat, V. (2016), "Multiplier Effect of Self Help Groups (SHGs) on Financial Inclusion Performance: Analysis of Indian states", Economic and Political Weekly, (Rated as “B” as per Australian Business Dean Council (ABDC)) .
- Raithatha Mehul and Bapat Varadraj (2015), " Impact of Corporate Governance on Financial Disclosures: Evidence from India”, Corporate Ownership and Control. (Rated as “B” as per ABDC).
- Bhanot, D., Bapat, V. (2015), Sustainability Index of Microfinance Institutions (MFIs) and Contributory Factors, International Journal of Social Economics (Rated as “B” as per ABDC).
- Raithatha Mehul and Bapat Varadraj (2014), " Ranking of Mutual Fund Performance: Comparison of Various Measures”, The Journal, Academy of Taiwan Business Management Review. (Rated as “B” as per ABDC).
- Raithatha Mehul and Bapat Varadraj (2014), " Accounting Standards Compliance: Comparison between Manufacturing and Service Companies”, International Journal of Economics and Finance, Vol 6, No. 9, 158-164. (Rated as “C” as per ABDC) (http://www.ccsenet.org/journal/index.php/ijef/article/view/39754).
- Bapat, V. and Nagale, A. (2014), Bankruptcy Prediction of Indian Listed Companies Using Discriminant Analysis, Logistic Regression and Neural Network. Academy of Taiwan Business Management Review (Rated as “B” as per ABDC).
- Bapat, V. and Nagale, A. (2014), “Comparison of Bankruptcy Prediction Models: Evidence from India”, Accounting and Finance Research, Vol. 3 No. 4, pp. 91-98 (Ranked “C” by ABDC) (http://www.sciedu.ca/journal/index.php/afr/article/view/5743/3400).
- Bapat, V. and Nagale, A. (2014), An Empirical Analysis of Altman’s and Ohlson’s Model. The Empirical Economic Letters (Ranked “C” by ABDC) .
- Bapat, V. and Nagale, A. (2013), Comparison of Financial Statements prepared as per International Financial Reporting Standards and Indian GAAP, The Chartered Accountant Journal, 61(9), 1406-1411.
- Raithatha Mehul and Bapat Varadraj (2013), "A Panel Data Analysis of Corporate Attributes and Stock Prices for Indian Manufacturing Sector”, Journal of Modern Accounting and Auditing. (ISSN: 1548‐6583). (Rated as “C” as ABDC) (http://www.davidpublishing.com/journals_info.asp?jId=1781)
- Raithatha Mehul and Bapat Varadraj (2013), " Corporate Disclosures in Financial Statements and its Determinants: An Empirical Study”, The journal, Academy of Taiwan Business Management Review,Vol 9,No 2, Aug 2013. (ISSN is 1813-0534). (Rated as “B” as per ABDC)
- Disha Bhanot, Varadraj Bapat, Sasadhar Bera, (2012) "Studying financial inclusion in north-east India", International Journal of Bank Marketing, Vol. 30 Iss: 6, pp.465 - 484 (ISSN: 0265-2323). (Rated as “B” as per ABDC).
- Doctoral research guidance
|SN ||Name ||Completed/ongoing ||Thesis topic |
|Disha Bhanot ||Completed ||Financial Inclusion in India: A Study on Sustainability of Self Help Group (SHG) Bank Linkage Programme|
|Abhay Nagale ||Completed ||A Cross Model Study of Bankruptcy |
|Mehul Raithatha ||Completed ||Financial Reporting by Indian Companies: Disclosures required by Accounting Standards |
|Mousami Prasad ||Ongoing ||Assessment of Corporate Environmental Sustainability in Indian Context |
|Sundar Sankaran ||Ongoing ||Indian Mutual Funds: Unravelling the Under-achievement |
|Ajinkya Navare ||Ongoing ||Karma Yoga |
| 7|| Bhaskar Chhimwal|| Ongoing || Portfolio Management|
| 8|| Nidhi Batta|
| Portfolio Management|
- Masters’ research guidance
|Thesis topic |
|Developing Credit Rating Model |
|Feasibility of Social Capitalistic Models on Indian Infrastructure Projects |
|Disclosures by Banking Companies |
|India Equity Mutual Fund: Performance Evaluation |
|Corporate Disclosures GAAP in India and Canada |
|Performance of Close and Open-ended Funds |
|A study of Efficiency and Sustainability of Microfinance Institutions |
|A study of Cost structure of Educational Institutions |
- Ethical funds particularly Hindu Fund
- Indian Business Model
- Indian Economic Model
- Spirituality and Management
- Human Resources Accounting
Visit to Cornell University, U.S.A under Exchange Programme
Visited Cornell University, U.S.A. on an invitation from Parker Centre for Investment Research, Johnson School of Management, Cornell University, New York, U.S.A.
Presented papers at various National and International Conferences
Speaker for lectures/ interviews on TV channels and various other forums Topics include Finance, Economy, Understanding Self, How to achieve health and wealth, Education, Culture, Geo-Politics
Conducted various corporate training programs/ MDPs for several leading companies/ Government organisations and NGOs. Topics include Finance for Non Finance Executives, Indian Economy, Understanding Self, How to achieve health and wealth, Corporate Governance, Demographic Dividend
Keen Interest in educational/ social activities, ABVP, Sanskrit, Yoga and spirituality