Positions Held (Academia)
Assistant Professor (since December 2013), Shailesh J. Mehta School of Management, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, Mumbai
Senior Lecturer (November 2012 to November 2013), Azim Premji University, Bangalore
Ph.D. in Economics, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India
Master of Business Administration, Sri Satya Sai University, Anantapur, India
Bachelor of Engineering (Electrical and Electronics), NIT Tiruchirapally (Trichy), India
Areas of Interest
Economics of Discrimination, Distribution, Social Exclusion and Underdevelopment
Business Research Methods (M.Mgt)
Survey Research and Experimentation (PhD)
Honors and Awards
- 2015 Outstanding Submission Award – Soceity for Advancement of Socio-Economics (SASE), 27th Annual Conference at the London School of Economics, July 2-4, 2015
- 2013 Prof. Sanjay Lall Best Student Paper Award (awarded by Oxford Development Studies) for the years 2011-12 for the paper “An Inquiry into the Financial Literacy and Cognitive Ability of Farmers: Evidence from Rural India”.
- 2011 ILO Microinsurance Innovation Facility Research Grant Award (with Sarthak Gaurav and Thiagu Ranganathan for “Complementarities between Microinsurance products and Inequality Linkages: Field Experiments in Rural India”).
- 2010 Human Development and Capability Association (HDCA) Scholar for the year 2010.
- 2007 – 2012 Graduate Fellowship, IGIDR (India)
Publications in Peer-reviewed Journals
- Are Daughters like Mothers: Evidence on Intergenerational Educational Mobility among Young Females in India, Social Indicators Research, Forthcomming (with Akanksha Choudhary).
- Anomaly in Decision Making Under Risk: Violation of Stochastic Dominance among Farmers in Gujarat, India, IIMB Management Review, Forthcomming (with Thiagu Ranganathan and Sarthak Gaurav).
- The Association between Unintended Births and Poor Child Development in India: Evidence from a Longitudinal Study, Studies in Family Planning, 48(1): 55-71 (with Abhishek Singh, Ashish Upadhyay and Kaushalendra Kumar), 2017.
- Demand for Price Insurance among Farmers in India: A Choice Experiment-based Approach, Margin: The Journal of Applied Economic Research, 10(2): 198-224 (with Thiagu Ranganathan and Sarthak Gaurav), 2016
- Trends in Inequality in Food Consumption and Calorie Intake in India: Evidence from the Last Three Decades, 1983-2012, Social Indicators Research, 128(3): 1319-1346 (with Kaushalendra Kumar and Abhishek Singh), 2016.
- Exclusion Within the Excluded: The Worsening Economic Divide With-in the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes during the Last Three Decades in India, Economic and Political Weekly, 50(2): 32-37 (with Kaushalendra Kumar and Abhishek Singh), 2015.
- Socio-Economic Differentials in Impoverishment Effects of Out of Pocket Health Expenditure in China and India: Evidence from WHO-SAGE, PloS One, 10(8): e0135051 (with Abhishek Singh, Kaushalendra Kumar, Santosh Kumar, F. Ram, U. Ram, Joel Negin and Paul R. Kowal), 2015.
- Impact of Air Pollution from the Use of Solid Fuels on the Incidence of Life Threatening Respiratory Illnesses in Children in India, BMC Public Health, 15: 300 (with Ashish Kr. Upadhyay, Abhishek Singh and Kaushalendra Kumar), 2015.
- Increasing Compulsion to Work for Wages: Old Age Labor Participation and Supply in India over the Past Two Decades, Journal of Population Ageing, 8(4): 303-326 (with Upasak Das), 2015.
- Gender Based Within-Household Inequality in Immunization Status of Children: Some Evidence from South Asian Countries, Economics Bulletin, 35(2): 911-923, 2015.
- The Changing Structure of Inequality in India, 1993-2010: Some Observations and Consequences, Economics Bulletin, 35(1): 590-603 (with Kaushalendra Kumar and Abhishek Singh), 2015.
- Traditional vs. non-traditional healing for minor and major morbidities in India: uses, cost and quality comparisons, Tropical Medicine and International Health, 20(9): 1223-1238 (with Harilal Madhavan), 2015.
- Adverse Consequences of Unintended Pregnancy for Maternal and Child Health in Nepal, Asia Pacific Journal of Public Health, 27(2): 1481-91 (with Abhishek Singh and Shyam Thapa), 2015.
- Household Food Insecurity and Nutritional Status of Children and Women in Nepal, Food and Nutrition Bulletin, 35(1):3-11 (with Abhishek Singh and Faujdar Ram), 2014.
- Gender Differentials in Inequality of Educational Opportunities in India: New Evidence from an Indian Youth Study, European Journal of Development Research, 26(4): 707-724 (with Abhishek Singh, Saseendran Pallikadavath and Faujdar Ram), 2014.
- How Inclusive Has Regular Employment Been in India? A Dynamic View, European Journal of Development Research, 25(3): 486-494 (with Upasak Das and Tushar Agrawal), 2013
- Household Headship and Academic Skills of Indian Children: A Special Focus on Gender Disparities, European Journal of Population, 29(4): 445-466 (with Sarthak Gaurav and Upasak Das), 2013.
- Inequality of Opportunity in Earnings and Consumption Expenditure: The Case of Indian Men, Review of Income and Wealth, 58(1): 79-106, 2012.
- Gender Based Within-Household Inequality in Childhood Immunization in India: Changes over Time and across Regions, PLoS One, (4): e35045, 2012.
- The Consequences of Unintended Pregnancy for Maternal and Child Health in Rural India: Evidence from Prospective Data, Maternal and Child Health Journal, 17(3): 493-500 (with Abhishek Singh and Bidhubhusan Mahapatra), 2012.
- Measuring Inequality of Poverty: Theory and an Application to India, Journal of Poverty, 16(1): 96-118, 2012.
- An Inquiry into the Financial Literacy and Cognitive Ability of Farmers: Evidence from Rural India, Oxford Development Studies, 40(3): 358-380 (with Sarthak Gaurav), 2012.
- Utilization of postnatal care for newborns and its association with neonatal mortality in India: An analytical appraisal, BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth, 12: 33 (with Abhishek Singh and Awadhesh Yadav), 2012.
- Awareness about Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act: Some evidence from the northern parts of West Bengal, India, Economics Bulletin, 32(1): 528-537 (with Upasak Das and Nitay Mahanto), 2012.
- Inequality of Opportunity in Access to Primary Education: The Case of Indian Children, Population Review, 51 (1): 50-68, 2012.
- How Close Does the Apple Fall to the Tree? Some Evidence on Intergenerational Occupational Mobility from India, Economic and Political Weekly, XLVII (40): 56-65 (with Sripad Motiram), 2012.
- Inequality of Opportunity in Indian Children: the case of Immunization and Nutrition, Population Research and Policy Review 30(6): 861-883, 2011.
- Family Background, Academic Ability and Associated Inequality of Opportunity in India, Economics Bulletin, 31(2): 1463-1473, 2011.
- Gender based Intra-Household Inequality of Opportunity in Academic Skills among Indian Children, Economics Bulletin 31(3): 2333-2346, 2011.
Globalization and the Trends in Inequality of Poverty in the United States over the Last Two Decades, in Stephen N. Haymes, Maria Vidal de Haymes and Reuben Miller (eds.), Routledge Handbook of Poverty in the United States, 2014.
Policy and Discussion Papers
- Do Caste and Social Interactions Affect Risk Attitudes and Adoption of Innovations? Evidence from Rainfall Insurance Adoption in Gujarat, India. International Labour Office policy research paper, International Labor Organization Research Paper No.25, (with Sarthak Gaurav and Thiagu Ranganathan) 2012.
- Reducing Gender Based Inequalities in Employment and Wages: Is India on Right Track? UNICEF and UNWOMEN, Addressing Inequalities – post 2015 Development Agenda Background Paper, 2012
- Child Disability and Maternal Work Participation: New Evidence from India. Economics E-Journal Discussion Paper no. 2013-6 (with Prachi Gupta and Upasak Das).
Papers Presented at International Conferences
- Experience of Domestic Violence by Young Women In India: Does the Nature of Occupation Plays any Role, presented at the 2017 Population and Public Policy Conference, University of Houston, Texas, January 6-8, 2017.
- Determinants of Use of Traditional Healing for Minor and Major Morbidities in India: Evidence from a Nationally Representative Survey, presented at the annual conference of Population Association of America (PAA), Washington DC,March 31-April 2, 2016
- Corporate Tax Avoidance and Evasion and Its Effect on Development; Forms of Corporate Tax Avoidance, What has been done, to What Effect, Why so Little has been Done and What Can be Done? presented at the Society for Advancement of Socio-Economics (SASE) annual conference, University of California, Berkeley, June 24-26, 2016.
- Same Academic Abilities but Different Wages: The Legacy of Gender Discrimination in India in the Twenty-First Century, presented at the Society for Advancement of Socio-Economics (SASE) annual conference, London School of Economics, July 2-4, 2015.
- Globalization and the Trends in Inequality of Poverty in the United States over the Last Two Decades, presented at the Human Development and Capability Association’s (HDCA) annual conference, Athens, September 2-5, 2014.
- Inclusiveness of Indian Economic Growth and Socioeconomic Inequalities in Regular Employment in India: Changes over Time and Across Regions, presented at the XXVII IUSSP International Population Conference, Busan, South Korea, August 26-31, 2013.
- Gender Based Disparity in Wages among Individuals with Similar Academic Capabilities: New Evidence from India, presented at the Human Development and Capability Association’s (HDCA) annual conference, Jakarta, September 5-7, 2012.
- Gender Based Within-Household Inequality in Immunization Status of Children: Some Evidence from South Asian Countries, presented at the Asian Population Conference 2012, Bangkok, August 26-29, 2012.
- Gender Based Within-Household Inequality in Immunization Status of Children: Some Evidence from South Asian Countries, presented at Royal Economic Society’s Annual Conference, University of Cambridge, UK, March 26-28, 2012.
- Inequality of Opportunity in access to Primary Education: Case of Indian Children, presented in Population Association of America’s Annual Conference, Washington DC, March 31 – April 2, 2011.
- Poverty Revisited: Capturing Poverty and the Inequality in Poverty Distribution Across Groups in a Single Index, presented in Irish Economic Association Annual Conference, Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK, April 23-25, 2010.
- Does Individual’s Achievement Depend on Capability, Effort or Family Background? New Evidence on Inequality of Opportunity in India, presented in Human Development and Capability Association’s Annual Conference, Amman, Jordan, September 21-23, 2010.
- Inequality of Opportunity: An Application to India, presented in 5th Growth and Development Conference, ISI Delhi, December 16-18, 2009.
Workshops and Summer Schools Attended
- 2013 Advance Graduate Workshop on Poverty, Development and Globalization; Organized by Initiative for Policy Dialogue (Columbia University) and Institute for New Economic Thinking (New York), January 7-18.
- 2010 OPHI-HDCA “Summer School on Capability and Multidimensional Poverty”, Amman, Jordan, September 11-20
Complementarities between Microinsurance products and Inequality Linkages: Field Experiments in Rural India (with Sarthak Gaurav and Thiagu Ranganathan), awarded by the International Labor Organization (ILO) Microinsurance Innovation Facility, Geneva.
Other Academic Services
- Acted as referee for the journals – Applied Economics, Asian Population Studies, Environment International, European Journal of Development Research, Ethnic and Racial Studies, Genus, International Journal of Social Economics, Journal of Development Studies, Oxford Development Studies, Review of Development Studies and Social Indicators Research.
- Chairperson for the session: “Regional Poverty: China, India, Vietnam” at the annual conference of the Human Development and Capability Association, Jakarta, September 5-7, 2012.
- Chairperson for the session: “Child Health in Development Countries-I” at the annual conference of the Royal Economic Society, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, March 26-28, 2012.