- Postdoctoral Fellow, (Production and Operations Management), EPFL, Switzerland
- Ph.D. (Operations Research), IIT Kharagpur, India
[Title of Thesis: Redefining some Inventory Management Problems in Imprecise and/or Uncertain Environment]
M.Sc. Applied Mathematics (Operations Research), Vidyasagar University, India
Fellowships & Honours:
- Swiss Govt. Fellowship, 2012
- DFG Research Fellowship, Germany, 2014
- DAAD, Bilateral Exchange of Academics, 2018
- Fast Track Young Scientist Scheme – DST; Govt. of India, 2013
- INSA Visiting Scientists, 2014
- Best Merit Paper Award, ICOR-2012, IMECS, Hong Kong
- Best Merit Paper Award, ICINDE-2017, IMECS, Hong Kong
- National Eligibility Test (NET), 2002
- GATE: All India Rank-43; 2002
- Research Fellowship, IIT Kharagpur, 2002
- Merit Scholarship, S.J. J. T., New Delhi, India, 1995
- Merit Scholarship, M.S.C.T., New Delhi, India, 1994
- Invited Talk: SOM, NIT Agartala, 2017
- Invited Talk: Palisade Risk Conference, BKC, Mumbai, 2017
- Invited Talk: Production Engg., VJTI, Mumbai, 2015, 2018
- Research Talk: IIP, KIT, Germany, 2014
- Research Talk: School of Business, HU Berlin, Germany, 2018
- Session Chair: ICORES-2013, Barcelona; ICFSNC-2012, Paris; DSI-2015, Seattle
- Programme Committee Member, ICORES-2014, France; 2015, Portugal; 2016, Italy; FANCCO-2015, India
- Citation Database: Google Scholar
- Visiting Professor, Humboldt University of Berlin, Germany, May- July, 2018
- Visiting Scientist, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), Germany, Nov. 2014- Jan. 2015
- Associate Professor, Shailesh J. Mehta School of Management, IITBombay, India, Sep. 2014- onwards
- Swiss Government Fellow, École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland, 2012 – 2013
- Assistant Professor, Shailesh J. Mehta School of Management, IITBombay, India, 2008 – 2014
- Lecturer, Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani, Rajasthan, India, 2007 – 2008
- Supply Chain Optimization
- Reverse Logistics
- Data Analytics
- Business Simulation
- Fuzzy Statistical Decision Making
- Project Management
- Inventory Management
- Quantitative Finance
- Operations Research
- Decision Models in Management
- Operations Research
- Business Dynamics Modeling and Simulation
- Statistical Methods
- Decision Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- Project Management
- Quantitative Methods Lab
Current Sponsored Projects:
- Title: Design and development of integrated forward-reverse supply chain under risk and uncertainty
Sponsoring Agency: DST, Govt. of India
- Title: Decision-making approach to production inventory problems in the context of supply chain management
Sponsoring Agency: IRCC, IIT Bombay, India
Projects at IITB-Monash Research Academy:
- Title: Optimization of Closed Loop Supply Chains under Uncertainty (Candidate required)
- Title: Sustainability based recycling planning using multi-criteria decision making
- Title: Modeling and Simulation of Integrated Supply Chain under Risk
Ph. D. Students:
- Pravin Suryawanshi: Statistical Data Analysis and Computing in Supply Chain Management
- Abhishek Behl: Decisions Sciences: Analytics in Management Practices
- Deep Kumar Verma: Identify Optimized and Flexible Project Management Models for Technology Entrepreneurship
- Himanshu Shrivastava: Supply Chain Management: Modeling and Simulation of Integrated Supply Chain under Risk
- Nagare Madhukar: Operations Management: A Study of Inventory Modeling for Short Life Cycle Products, Completed, 2018
- Debabrata Das: Operations Research: Modeling and Analysis of Integrated Forward-Reverse Supply Chain Systems, Completed, 2015
- Suresh Marappan: Project Management: Resource Constrained Project Scheduling (Jointly with Prof. K. Jain), Completed, 2012
* Looking for motivated students to pursue their Ph.D. work with interests in my research domain. Interested candidates may contact me along with a CV.
[Guided more than 60+ masters students]
- R. Akarshan and A. Omar, Risk analytics in Startups
- A. Dutta and P. Gujrathi, Effective cost reduction analysis for e-commerce industry
- Krishnakumar P G et al. Impact of disruptions on supply chain of Perishable Goods: Case study approach on Dairy industry
- Ankit Mittal et al. Life Cycle Analysis of the Startups
- M. Kadam, R. Patil, N. Pokharkar & S. Divakala: Study of Indirect Spend Management in India
- S. Chakraborty & S. Shekhar: Process and Challenges involved in the Optimization of Reverse Logistics Supply Chain: A case of an Indian Glass manufacturer
- Prathamesh Dashpute: Security Analysis and Portfolio Management under Risk and Uncertainty: An Optimization Approach
- Julien Arguello and Bastian Verschuur, Integration of human judgment factors into the demand forecasting with a SPIM, at EPFL, Switzerland (Co-supervisor)
- R. Saxena, N. Bal, R. Sharma & A. Ghotane: Strategies to augment sales of Navaras, Future Group
- R. Sinha & A. Choudhury: A forecasting model for remanufacturing with consideration of PLC, pricing decisions and return incentives
- Bhagyashree & C. Puri: Implementation of Forecast Techniques integrating Human Judgment Knowledge: A Case of Indian Agro-Processing Company
- Y. Shanthi and G. Pavankumar: An Empirical Study on Retail Inventory Management in FMCG Companies
- M. Sachin & R. Gupta : Optimizing Retail C.F.R. in Supply Chain Management
- M. Gupta & M. Kejriwal: Impact of Product Substitution in Optimizing the Retail Inventory by Analyzing the Consumer Behavior
- R. K. Jana (M.Sc.): Development of Fuzzy Regression Analysis and its Applications in Uncertain Environment
- A. Grover & A. Kambli: Cost and Life-Cycle Analysis of Perishable Products
Publications: International Journals:
- Vaishna, C, M. Suresh and P. Dutta, A Study on the Influence of Factors Associated with Organizational Readiness for Change in Healthcare Organizations Using TISM, Benchmarking: an International Journal, Forthcoming, 2018.
- A. Behl and P. Dutta, Humanitarian supply chain management: A thematic literature review and future directions of research, Annals of Operations Research, Forthcoming, 2018.
- M. Nagare, P. Dutta and P. Suryawanshi, Optimal procurement and discount pricing for single-period non-instantaneous deteriorating products with promotional efforts, Operational Research, Forthcoming, 2017.
- M. Nagare and P. Dutta, Single-period ordering and pricing policies with markdown, multivariate demand and customer price sensitivity, Computers and Industrial Engineering, Revised version submitted, 2017.
- D. Das and P. Dutta, Maximizing profit and responsiveness of a closed-loop supply chain in presence of product exchange offer, International Transactions in Operational Research, Revised version submitted, 2017.
- P. Dutta, D. Das, F. Schultmann and M. Fröhling, Design and planning of a losed-loop supply chain in presence of three-way recovery and buy-back offer, Journal of Cleaner Production, 135(1), 604-619, 2016.
- D. Das and P. Dutta, Performance analysis of a closed-loop supply chain with incentive-dependent demand and return, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 86(1), 621-639, 2016.
- M. Nagare, P. Dutta and N. Cheikhrouhou, Optimal ordering policy for Newsvendor models with bidirectional changes in demand using expert judgment, Opsearch, 53(3), 620-647, 2016.
- M. Suresh, P. Dutta and K. Jain, Resource constrained multi project scheduling problem with resource transfer times, Asia-Pacific Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 32 (6), pp. 155.1-29, 2015.
- D. Das and P. Dutta, Design and analysis of closed loop supply chain in presence of promotional offer, International Journal of Production Research, Vol. 53 (1), pp. 141-165, 2015.
- L. Nagar, P. Dutta and K. Jain, An integrated supply chain model for new products with imprecise production and supply under scenario dependent fuzzy random demand, International Journal of System Sciences, Vol. 45(5), pp. 873-887, 2014.
- D. Das and P. Dutta, A system dynamics framework for integrated reverse supply chain with three way recovery and product exchange policy, Computers and Industrial Engineering, Vol. 66(4), pp. 720-733, 2013.
- D. Das and P. Dutta, Simulation study of an integrated reverse logistics in imprecise environment, Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering , Vol. 186, pp.151-165, 2013.
- P. Dutta, D. Chakraborty and A. R. Roy, Uncertain demand in (Q, r) inventory systems: A fuzzy optimization approach, The Journal of Fuzzy Mathematics,Vol. 20, No. 3, 2012.
- M. Nagare and P. Dutta, On solving single-period inventory model under hybrid uncertainty, International Journal of Economics and Management Sciences,Vol. 6, pp. 290-295, 2012.
- M. Suresh, P. Dutta and K. Jain, Analysis of an Engineering-Procurement-Constraction (EPC) project: A solution to the resource constrained project scheduling problem using genetic algorithms, International Journal of Industrial and Systems Engineering, Vol. 8, pp.251-269, 2011.
- P. Dutta and D. Chakraborty, Incorporating one-way substitution policy into the newsboy problem with imprecise customer demand, European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 200, pp. 99-110, 2010.
- P. Dutta, A multi-product newsboy problem with fuzzy fustomer demand and a storage space constraints, International Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 07, Issue 5-6, pp. 1-17, 2010.
- P. Dutta and D. Chakraborty, Single-period inventory models in fuzzy environment: A decision-maker’s attitudinal approach, International Journal of Applied Mathematics and Statistics, Vol. 13, pp. 24-35, 2008.
- P. Dutta, D. Chakraborty and A. R. Roy, An inventory model for single-period products with reordering opportunities under fuzzy demand, Computers and Mathematics with Applications, Vol. 53, pp. 1502-1517, 2007.
- P. Dutta, D. Chakraborty and A. R. Roy, Continuous review inventory model in mixed fuzzy and stochastic environment, Applied Mathematics and Computation, Vol. 188, pp. 970-980, 2007.
- P. Dutta and D. Chakraborty, A study on linking upward substitution and fuzzy demands in the newsboy-type problem, International Journal of Computational and Mathematical Sciences, Vol. 1(4), pp. 263-268, 2007.
- G. Mahata and P. Dutta, An EPQ inventory model with deteriorated and imperfect products under fuzzy sense, Internation Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics, Vol. 41, pp. 829-838, 2007.
- P. Dutta and A. R. Roy, Decisions on backorder inventory model under mixed uncertainty, Tamsui Oxford Journal of Management Science, Vol. 23, pp. 59-70. 2007.
- P. Dutta, D. Chakraborty and A. R. Roy, A single period inventory model with fuzzy random variable demand, Mathematical and Computer Modelling, 41, 915-922, 2005.
- P. Dutta , M. Nagare and C. Naoufel, Revisiting the Distribution free Newsvendor models with bidirectional changes in demand using expert judgment
- P. Dutta and C. Naoufel, Decision on trust and ordering policy for SPIM with demand infulenced by Human judgments.
- D. Das and P. Dutta, A Simulation model for performance analysis of closed loop supply chain with remanufacturing in presence of discounts and new demand function.
- M. Suresh, P. Dutta and K. Jain, A decision support system for RCPSP with vacation and cost minimization using a repetitive mutation based GA.
- M. Nagare and P. Dutta, A strategic optimization model for ordering and pricing of Short Life Cycle Products.
- H. Shrivastava, P. Dutta, M. Krishnamoorthy, P. Suryawanshi, A resilient supply chain network for perishable products with random disruptions, Transactions on Engineering Technologies, Springer, 2017.
- H. Shrivastava, P. Dutta, M. Krishnamoorthy, P. Suryawanshi, Facility location and distribution planning in a disrupted supply chain, Frontiers in Optimization: Theory and Applications, Springer, 2017.
- D. Das and P. Dutta, A Comparative Study of Bullwhip Effect in a Multi-Echelon Forward-Reverse Supply Chain, Monografías Matematicas Garcia de Galdeano (Monograph), Spain, Vol. 38, pp.55-64, 2013.
- M. Nagare and P. Dutta, Continuous Review Model for Perishable Products with Inventory Dependent Demand, Lecture Notes in Engineering and Computer Science, Newswood Limited, Hong Kong, 2, pp 1513-1517, 2012.
- P. Dutta, M. Suresh and K. Jain, A genetic algorithm approach to RCPSP with vacation and cost minimization,Global Interdependence and Decision Sciences, Macmillan Publishers, pp. 55-67, 2009.
- P. Dutta, Debjani Chakraborty and A. R. Roy, A reordeing strategy for single-period inventory model with imprecise demand information, Fuzzy Logic and its Application in Technology and Management, Narosa Pub. New Delhi, pp. 131-138, 2007.
- M. Suresh, P. Dutta, R. M. Sonar and K. Jain, A DSS for multi resource constrained project scheduling problem using genetic algorithms, Decision Sciences in Global Enterprise Management, Macmillan Publishers, pp. 604-615, 2009.
- H. Shrivastava, P. Dutta, M. Krishnamoorthy, P. Suryawanshi, Designing a resilient supply chain network for perishable products with random disruptions, ICINDE, Hong Kong, March, 2017.
- M Nagare and P. Dutta, Decisions on single period procurement policy with demand updating using human judgment, Annual Meeting DSI, Seattle, USA, November 21-24, 2015.
- D. Das and P. Dutta, A Reverse Logistics Framework in presence of Incentive Offer and Advertisement-dependent Demand, Annual Meeting DSI, Seattle, USA, November 21-24, 2015.
- M Nagare and P. Dutta, Study of Consumer Response to Stockout and its Implication to Inventory Management, POMS, Atlanta, U.S.A., May 9-12, 2014.
- D. Das and P. Dutta, Optimization of a Closed-loop Supply Chain in presence of Three Way Recovery Policy under Uncertainty , POMS, Atlanta, U.S.A., May 9-12, 2014.
- M Nagare and P. Dutta, Retail Inventory Management for Perishable Products with Two Bins Strategy, International Conference on Manufacturing Systems Engineering, Venice, Italy, April 14-15, 2013
- M Nagare and P. Dutta. A fuzzy-stochastic inventory model withour backorder under imprecise customer demand, International Conference on Operations Research and Enterprise Systems, Barcelona, Spain, February 16-18, 2013.
- D. Das and P. Dutta. A Simulation Study of Bullwhip Effect in a Closed-Loop Supply Chain with Fuzzy Demand under Possibility Constraints, International Conference on Fuzzy Systems and Neural Computing, Paris, France, April 25-26, 2012.
- M Nagare and P. Dutta. Continuous Review Model for Perishable Products with Inventory Dependent Demand, International Conference on Operations Research, HongKong, March 14-16, 2012.
- D. Das and P. Dutta. A System Dynamics Framework for an Integrated Forward-Reverse Supply Chain under Possibility Constraints, International Conference on Operations Research, HongKong, March 14-16, 2012.
- P. Dutta and M. Nagare, Study of customer response to retail stockout and its impact on product assortment, International Conference on Operations Research for Sustainable Development in Globalized Environment, Kolkata, January 6-8, 2012.
- D. Das and P. Dutta. A Comparative Study of Bullwhip Effect in a Multi-Echelon Forward-Reverse Supply Chain. The Pyrenees International Workshop on Statistics, Probability and Operations Research, SPO 2011. Jaca, Spain, September 13-16, 2011.
- M. Suresh, K. Jain and P. Dutta, A decision support system for resource constrained multi project scheduling problem using genetic algorithm, Proceedings of ‘Production and Operations Management Society (POMS)’, 21st Annual Conference, Vancouver, Canada, May 7-10, 2010.
- P. Dutta, K. Jain and M. Suresh, A genetic algorithm approach to RCPSP with vacation and cost minimization, Proceedings of 3rd Int. Conf. on ‘Global Interdependence and Decision Sciences’, AS College of India, Hyderabad, December 28-30, pp. 55-67, 2009.
- P. Dutta, D. Chakraborty and A. R. Roy, Substitution opportunities in the newsboy problem under imprecise customer demand, International Conference on ICORAID-2005-ORSI, IISc Bangalore, December 27-29, pp. 1-9, 2005.
- P. Dutta and A. R. Roy, Constrained multi-product newsboy problem with imprecise customer demand, National Conference on Uncertainty: Mathematical approach (UMA 2006), NUCWC, Burdwan University, September 7-8, 2006.
- P. Dutta and D. Chakraborty, An optimal ordering strategy for seasonal items with time varying selling price, National Seminar on Recent Advances in Applied Mathematics, Vidyasagar University, March 18-19, pp. 132-137, 2004.
- P. Dutta, D. Chakraborty and A. R. Roy, Lot size-reorder point inventory model in imprecise and uncertain environment, International Conference on Recent Trends and New Directions of Research in Cybernetics and System Theory, IASST Guwahati, January 1-3, SC8, 2004.
- European Journal of Operational Research
- Journal of Cleaner Production
- International Journal of Systems Sciences
- International Journal of Production Research
- Computers & Industrial Engineering
- Simulation Modeling Practice and Theory
- Int. Journal of Integrated Manufacturing Technology
- Mathematical and Computer Modelling
- Int. Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology
- International Journal of Planning and Scheduling
- Applied Mathematical Modelling
- Int. Journal of Advanced Operations Management
- Engineering Optimization
- Soft Computing
- Examiner for various Ph.D. thesis/Mmgt./M.Tech .reports
- Faculty Advisor: Mmgt. 2014-2017
- Faculty Advisor, Minor, 2017-18
- Mmgt. Admissions Coordinator, 2015
- Coordinator, Library, 2015-17
- Member, School Policy Committee, 2015-17
- Faculty Advisor: Mmgt. 2014-2017
- CP Coordinator, April-July, 2014
- Faculty Advisor: BTech (Minor) for Management, 2013-2014
- IT Coordinator, June-August, 2012
- Secretary, School Faculty Meeting, January, 2011-June, 2012
- Member, School’s Post Graduate Programme Committee, January, 2011-June, 2012
- Member, M.Tech. (TOM) Programme, 2011
- Project Coordinator, 2011
- Faculty Advisor: Mmgt. 2010-2012
- Admissions Coordinator: Mmgt. 2010
- Designate Admissions Coordinator: Mmgt. 2009
- Member, Faculty Forum, IIT Bombay, 2009 –
- Member, Organizing Committee: International Conference- ISDSI 2009
- Ivey Case Writing and Case Teaching Workshop, Jointly organized by ISB Hyderabad and School of Management, IIT Bombay, October 1-4, 2009, IIT Bombay.
- CARISMA: Optimisation Methods and Risk Analysis: Applications in Finance Optimization, IIM Calcutta, April 6-9, 2011, Kolkata.
Management Development Program:
- Project Management for Godrej Professionals
- Decision Models in Management for Engineers
- Quantitative Methods for Business Professionals
- Inventory Management for Business Professionals
Member of Professional Bodies:
- Operational Research Society of India (ORSI), India
- Decision Sciences Institute, Indian Subcontinent Region
- Project Management Institute, India